Trademarks are distinctive words, phrases, logos and symbols used to identify a company’s goods or services. Trademarks are valuable assets that successful companies, large and small, use to enhance business visibility and develop brand identity. When obtained and used properly, trademark registrations provide important legal and commercial advantages, giving owners that elusive market edge.
But even the best trademarks are of no value if they are not protected from illegal use and infringement. We assist our clients in protecting their trademarks, service marks and domain names, and help to manage corporate risk by counseling and representing clients in all aspects of trademark selection, registration, and enforcement.
In the area of trademarks we:
- Prepare, file, and prosecute U.S. and international trademark registrations.
- Manage the maintenance and renewal of registered trademarks.
- Build and maintain domestic and international trademark portfolios.
- Advise on the selection, design and proper use of trademarks.
- Negotiate trademark license agreements.
- Render opinions concerning trademark infringement, availability and validity, from both offensive and defensive perspectives.
- Help establish guidelines for consistent use of trademarks within companies.
- Assist with marketing strategies which can enhance the distinctiveness and enforceability of trademarks.
- Analyze and advise on trade dress matters involving products and packaging.
- Provide education concerning trademark law to individuals and company employees.
- Protect marks through opposition and cancellation proceedings.
- Litigate trademark infringement, unfair competition, and dilution cases for both plaintiffs and defendants.